Monday, April 29, 2013

wrapped maternity top

Good morning! I have been busily sewing recently {for a change} and I feel like progress is finally being made. I am halfway done the little ones clothes, although I have yet to try and gather them up for pictures. And perhaps even more exciting, I made a maternity top for myself!

I actually acquired this pattern {wrapped maternity top by Megan Nielsen} by accident. I ordered a different pattern (still a Megan Nielsen maternity/nursing pattern) and was sent this one instead...from a shop that was closing....that never answered my inquiries after I got the wrong pattern....so I figured since I had it, I might as well make it. And since I now have a pretty good belly and wanted to be able to wear it some, this was the perfect time.



Let me tell you, I stinking love this top. I would say that if you run into me in the next 3 months, there is a fair chance I will be wearing this shirt. It is so comfy! And while the wrapping is a bit fiddly, I think it looks so cute I am okay with it. I used a super soft micro terry fabric I found on clearance at Joanns. I was a little unsure of how I would look in yellow, but I really like it I think. I made a size large since pre-pregnancy I was right on the border and now that it is done, I am pretty sure I could have made the medium, so if I make another I will probably try that. I thought it was a bit weird that the instructions didn't specify whether you should be using pre-pregnancy measurements or not....I mean let's be honest, I have no waist right now so that measurement is pretty worthless. Anyway, as the fabric was a clearance purchase, I had under 2 yards to work with instead of the 2 1/3 yards it says on the package. It made things a little tight and I had to do some creative cutting, but I managed it.



I didn't change much from the pattern; I shortened the sleeves so it should be good for summer and I rounded the ties at the end, more out of necessity than anything else since my fabric was cut unevenly. I also decided to hem around the front and the sleeves. I didn't go very far down the sides of the ties so it gets hidden after that. The pattern is really simple and easy to follow, so that was great. And I love that the pattern pieces come on a regular weight paper instead of that tissue thin stuff.



I will say that it is a bit difficult to readjust after peeing and it does seem to bunch a bit above the belly, so I'll have to work on that, but I might just need to practice wrapping and tying it. Also, this particular fabric is pretty thin and a bit see through, so it is a bit hard to get it to lay exactly right sometimes, especially since the unhemmed edges roll a bit. That said, I really do love it and will probably be wearing it a lot. I am even hopeful that I will be able to make the ties shorter and use it as a nursing top once the baby is here. I totally recommend this to any pregnant lady. It is comfy and easy to make. The cutting is really the hardest part since you are working with such large cuts of fabric, but it is so forgiving. For instance, I am pretty sure my ties aren't even close a uniform width all the way down, but you really can't tell once it's wrapped.


I guess I should finish up the kids clothes now....I don't have too much more to make though, just a couple pair of shorts and skirts and maybe a tunic or two. I guess it does seem like a lot now that I wrote it down. Well either way, I also have a new quilt to start soon, I just need to finish mapping it out. I am pretty excited about it and can't wait to get it going.

No comments:

Post a Comment